Without a doubt Jamie Oliver is one of my favourite chefs – I adore his cookery books. Between us me and W must have all of them and to be perfectly honest they are some of the only actual books I cook out of! His fish pie is utterly gorgeous, W’s mum makes it and it’s one of my favourite meals.
I’ve taken this oozy, creamy, cheesy comfort food and given it my own twist. I’ve bulked it out with veg, cut down on the cheese, and made it that bit healthier. In all honesty my version isn’t better, but it’s definitely yummy and far better on the hips! The only thing I would say is ignore Jamie’s mash topping recipe – I found it far too dry. You want the mash relatively wet so it gives the sauce some liquid.
- 1 frozen white fish fillet (mine is basa, Sainsbury’s value, and very nice it is too!)- defrosted
- 1 small handful of cooked prawns
- 1-2 cubes of frozen spinach
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, finely chopped (taste it first – my half was extremely fiery!)
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated parmesan (+ more to top, if you want)
- A serving of mash
Really easy this! Once all the veg is finely chopped, slice the fish into chunks, and toss all together in a pie dish. Drizzle over the parmesan, lemon juice and zest, and olive oil, and toss again – you want to really combine everything. Season with pepper and salt.
Are you a fan of making comfort food healthier? What’s your favourite recipe?