Cliched I know, but I genuinely feel like my life is flashing by before my eyes!
This time last year I was battling my way through the final year of my degree, sobbing my heart out with each final-stage job rejection and confused as to why W was acting secretly and my mum was hardly talking to me. Fast forward to now. I graduated with a First (and by a good margin too!), got offered two graduate jobs, am working in a job I love, and I’m living in London with my fiancé. Because a secretive long-term boyfriend and a shift mum meant a proposal was in motion, of course! I look back to last November/December and I just can’t believe how much my life has changed. I’m pretty much a full blown adult!
I turned 23 yesterday and it got me thinking – I have so much I want to do, several different bucket lists, and I really should start getting them ticked off. It also made me realise that life is passing me by quickly. In under two years I’ll be married and, whilst that in itself is the start of something very exciting, I equally want to make the most of these next two years, of being engaged and of having slightly less of those big scary responsibilities!
- Get married. At least I know I’ll tick something off!
- Get a dog. Or at least set up a doggy share…
- Be at least a little bit closer to buying a house.
- Visit America.
- Paint a painting.
- Make good progress with my professional exams – finishing them is looking very unlikely unfortunately!
- Go on a tour of the Scottish Highlands.
- Visit Bruges.
- Host a proper, grown-up dinner party.
- Learn to row.
- Learn to knit.
- Cook an Eggs Benedict for myself.
- Make my own sausages.
- Grow (and maintain) some plants. With no accidental murders…
- Start running. And get past a few miles without injuring myself.
- Cook Pork Pilbil – my favourite Wahaca dish.
- Create a tomato-free BBQ sauce.
- Make all my bread from scratch.
- Revisit Switzerland.
- Go to Disneyland.
- Find my ‘ultimate’ burger.
- See a Highland Cow in the flesh (fur?).
- Host Christmas dinner.
- Volunteer. I’m planning on helping out at a ‘Supper Circle’ in the new year, cooking meals for families in need.
- Go glamping. I’m not into tents, but something a bit more glamorous might be more my cup of tea…
A bit of a varied list! Who knows if I’ll be able to afford some of the bigger items, and right now I cannot imagine hosting Christmas dinner in our little flat (where would everyone go?!). But I’m going to try my damn hardest to tick as many of these off as I can before I turn 25. Note that finding a grey hair is not on the list!
Being 22 turned out to be the best year of my life, and I’m hoping the rest of my twenties continue along in the same vein! What do you want to tick off in the next few years?