At the age of 21, turning 30 seems a long way away – until I realise that I’ve been with W for five years and it’s gone in the blink of an eye. Scary stuff. I saw this post on the lovely Libby’s blog and decided to use it to inspire my own ’30 before 30′ bucket list.
- Graduate – I certainly hope I’ll have graduated this time next year! I’d like to set myself classification goals here, but in reality I’m trying hard not to pile the pressure on myself and just do as well as possible.
- Establish my Career – again one I hope to achieve in the next year. I’m set on my career path, but now it is just a case of getting that first job!
- Qualify as an Actuary – so, my career path! I’m setting myself up for another few years of exams (plus three years of work-based skills) but fingers crossed I’ll qualify whilst still in my twenties. The pass rate can get as low as 30% so these aren’t exactly easy ones…
- Get Married – definitely a big goal for my twenties, I’m hoping to squeeze it in before 25!
- Set up Home – in all honesty I’m not 100% fussed about buying a house before I’m 30, especially if I’ll be living/working in London. But it would be nice to be somewhere for longer than a year, to start setting down some more roots.
- Get a Dog – it’s my strong opinion that a house isn’t a home before there’s a dog in it. I’m not too fussy on what type of dog, I love terriers and french bulldogs, but it will probably be from a rescue centre.
- Start A Family – starting a family before I’m 30 is something I’m really keen to do, and is the main reason I’m determined to qualify before then (I’ll quit trying the exams for a few years if not!)
- Return to Switzerland – W’s family took me to Switzerland after our A-Levels, and both of us are desperate to go back. It’s such a beautiful country, and as its quite important to his family I doubt that I will fail to tick this one off!
- Go on a Safari – this, for me, would be a perfect honeymoon. A mix of safari and then a few days relaxing on a beach sounds perfect!
- See the Northern Lights – something I’ve always wanted to see, and whilst I’d love to go all out on a fancy break to do so, I’d be equally happy with a budget break as long as they were there
- Persuade W on a Lazy Beach Holiday – he isn’t one for sitting and doing nothing, so this one will be tough I think! I’d love to hire a villa somewhere and just hole up, just the two of us, for some complete R&R. Somewhere with enough for a day or two exploring, I’d love to visit Mallorca again!
- Learn to Drive – despite being 21 I am yet to have a single driving lesson, and in fact only got my provisional months ago. I was involved in a car accident when I was a lot younger and I think this has made me put off learning, it took a few years before I stopped feeling panicky as a passenger on motorways. We’ll see how this one goes…
- Spend lots in New York – I would so love to go to New York on a shopping break for a few days.
- Take a Road Trip around Scotland – Scotland is one of my favourite places, and I’d love to take a driving holiday around the Highlands. It looks so beautiful!
- Watch an International Rugby Match – I love rugby, and I’ve been to quite a few Premiership matches, but I’d love to go and see England play. I entered the ballot for the World Cup but unfortunately didn’t get any tickets; gutted!
- Fly a Plane – bet you didn’t expect to see this one?! Despite being a nervous flyer it’s something I’ve always wanted to do, that or fly a glider.
- Learn to Snowboard – me and W have done a trial snowboarding lesson and it was really fun, I’d love to take it up properly, learn to a decent level and maybe even go on a holiday to the slopes.
- Ride a Horse – my sister is very horsey, and up until a few years ago I was terrified of the things. I’ll now happily go and stroke one for a while, even hold onto the reins, so the next step is getting into the saddle!
- Knit my Scarf – I’ve been attempting to learn to knit for a while now, and it’s just not going well. Do let me know if you have any tips!
- Continue Blogging – probably a cheat’s one, but I’d really love to still be blogging once I hit 30. I can imagine the site name changing though!
- Start Painting Again – I used to paint/draw quite a lot, my favourites were either watercolours or pencil drawings. I’ve not had time in recent years but it would be lovely to pick up a paintbrush again!
- Go on a Spa Day – a typically girly wish!
- Have a Second Attempt at Camping – We tried camping for two nights just before university, and whilst the first night was fun, the last was cold, wet and I thought I had hypothermia. It’s put us off, but I’d be tempted to try again. In the South of France perhaps…
- Keep a Plant Alive – I’ve actually never managed to keep a plant alive for more than a couple of weeks, so this is definitely a big goal for me.
- Try Lobster – hopefully I’ll tick this one off this summer!
- Go Without Tea for a Month – this would be extremely difficult, but I’d really love to sift my tea addiction. It would definitely help with my liking of sugar too!
- Get a Perm – I’ve always loved permed hair, and its something I’m seriously considering getting done. Any advice for me?
- Earn Enough to Pay Someone to do my Ironing – Confession time! I don’t iron a thing, and can only iron basic t-shirts. I buy baggier blouses precisely so I don’t have to iron, and anything that does W deals with. I’d love to be able to pay someone to do it for us!
- Eat at a Michelin-Starred Restaurant – I love food and eating out, and I really don’t see a probably with spending a fortune on a meal. This is definitely a goal I’d love to achieve!
- Spend All Day in Bed – the ultimate in laziness, but something I’ve never come close to. I don’t think I’ve ever staying in bed later than midday (other than when recovering from my nose operation) so I’m not even sure I’d manage this without getting bored!
An interesting mix here, some big goals (somehow I can’t imagine affording a house, wedding, baby, New York, Switzerland AND a safari in during the next 8 years, both time and money wise). But there’s also some little goals. There’s some I have little doubt I will accomplish (I will get married!), I know I’ll graduate next year, and in all honesty I’m pretty sure I’ll have a perm for my wedding (I’m so eighties).
The travel ones I found particularly hard to write. In some ways there is so much I want to see. I’d love to go to Japan, I’d love to try proper Thai food, I want to walk over Sydney Harbour Bridge. But equally I wanted my goals to be achievable, and as much as I’d like to do these things I just can’t see them happening. I’m too career focussed, too involved in my relationship, and I don’t think I’m built to be a long-haul traveler. Maybe one day, but right now I don’t think it’s for me – though I’m still envious of those who go! In all honesty these next few years will probably be limited to budget breaks, but we shall see!
What are your goals to achieve before your next ‘big’ birthday?