So, obviously I’ve been a bit absent lately – and if I’m honest the break has done me the world of good. Weirdly it was only when I stopped to take a breather that I noticed how exhausted I was making myself. Oops! I have to say it’s been a blessing to have this long weekend. Just what I needed!
This last few weeks has been a whirlwind, that’s for sure! I’ve rushed study (due to a slightly mis-timing of tutorial bookings), been on holiday, moved flats and spent an obscene amount on new furniture. I have to say I’m looking forward to a quiet weekend, although it looks like my next one will be in October… So, highlights recently!
- Switzerland. We spent a lovely six days in Switzerland – lots of hiking and fresh air, a bit of swimming, lots of wine and just generally relaxing and enjoying each other’s company. It’s the first time in two years we’ve been abroad (minus my hop to Zurich for a job interview) and it was SO nice to get away.
- Cheese. Well, we did go to Switzerland…
- Chocolate. Ditto!
- Fireworks. Whilst we were in Switzerland we celebrated Swiss National Day – we went for a celebratory banquet dinner at the hotel W’s family have stayed in for generations (unfortunately out of our budget for the actual holiday!), ate lots, drank lots and had a blast.
- Washing my engagement ring in a Swiss river. W’s grandmother (and later his mum) always used to wash her rings whilst hiking her favourite route – and it’s a walk I love too. Her eternity ring provided the three larger diamonds in my engagement ring, so I honored the memory and gave mine a clean.
- New flat! We started packing about a month ahead (seeing as we moved around 9 hours after landing back from the holiday!) and managed to unpack in double quick time. It feels so much more spacious than the old place!
- Gorgeous new cushions*. I’m very honoured to be part of the bloggers programme from Rooi, which just happens to be one of my favourite online shopping sites. I picked out two lovely cushions (one with geese on, one with bees – things both me and W are individually terrified of!), now I just need the rest of my new furniture to arrive so I can take half-decent photos!
- Meat from the butchers. With the nice not-so-little payrise that passing my exam gave me, we’ve decided to splurge a little each month on some decent meat. Our joint of pork from the local butchers was THE nicest I’ve ever eaten, and it made wonderful sandwiches, stir-fry and nachos too. Well worth it.
- Catch up with friends. We had a very sociable week, with meals out most days and the weekend packed full too. It was so nice to catch up with so many people!
- Playing tourist. When my besties came to visit I snapped up some free Tower of London tickets (a corporate deal through my company). Whilst I think £28 for an adult ticket is slightly (ahem!) overpriced we definitely enjoyed it, the Crown Jewels were stunning and I’d love to visit again when the Torture Tower is open.
- Wedding Cake tasting. Definitely a highlight of the planning process, and I’m already dreaming about one of the flavours we picked…
- The bedside tables W’s designed, and is currently in the process of building. They are going to look AMAZING!
- Picking up a dress I’d been lusting after in H&M. For £7 in the sale. #winning
- The BEST gelato I’ve eaten outside of Italy (and only because I went to a local’s ‘best in Rome’ recommendation). A new place has opened up in Putney and words can’t explain how good it is. I genuinely have a list of flavours and combos I’m wanting to try…
What’s made you happy recently?