Happy New Year!
I’m kicking the year off with a bumper Happy Things post – covering all of the festive period and a little before that. Whilst I had planned to write a couple more Christmassy posts, I felt a bit run-down in the week leading up to the big day so decided just to enjoy my time away from the office. I won’t be having more than a couple of days off until our wedding and honeymoon in October now, so it was good to make the most of it! As it was, I had a fabulous few weeks, although Christmas wasn’t quite what I’d planned…
- Homemade gifts. I’ve made a few homemade gifts this year and they’ve all gone down really well. The Peanut Butter Fudge has definitely been the most well-received though!
- A really good office party. I was in another department on a rotation before my Christmas holiday, and they were nice enough to have me tag on to their celebrations. There was good food, a lot of wine and bubbly, plenty of festive games and a compulsory Santa hat.
- Mulled Wine afternoons with friends, before a Carol service at our local church. Much festiveness.
- Continuing a new festive tradition. Last year me and W came up with ‘Pigs in Blankets Night’ – a roast dinner, but where the main meat is a good serving of homemade pigs in blankets. It’s so, so good.
- Sleeping for 12.5 hours pretty much straight.
- Curry night. I was sent some of Patak’s new Paste Pots* and added them to my Nomato Sauce. Served with homemade pilau rice, a spinach-coconut concoction I made up, bhajis and plenty of poppadoms we ate ourselves into a food coma.
- Frijoles at Wahaca. Though I’m not too happy at their menu change, as there’s now a lot more I can’t eat (and it feels a lot less authentic too!).
- A short break at Centre Parcs. We went to celebrate my sister’s eighteenth birthday and it was lovely! A gorgeous lodge with our own sauna, plenty of time in the pool (some of the water rides are pretty scary!), and some fun activities. Segeways were a particular highlight.
- My first ever spa day. I spent lots of time in a Blossom scented heat room, enjoyed a fire and ice experience – though the highlight was a Flotation Mud Wrap.
- Passing my exam! I came out of the spa to see my name on the pass list for the exam I took in September. I hadn’t been feeling overly confident recently after a tutor went over the paper, so I’m feeling relieved. Next ones are in April and I’m already on track with the material…
- Hot Beef Rolls from a nearby delicatessen. They roast a couple of joints of meat daily, then fill fresh slightly crispy rolls with meat sliced to order. The beef is rare and tender, the horseradish just the right heat. And at £3 it’s difficult to resist.
- Picking up chocolates from Cocoa Amore.
- Heading home for Christmas. It was a pretty hectic festive season for us all, but we managed to see both my Nan and Grandma, all the nieces/nephews and get presents delivered on time and to the correct people.
- The Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Rolls from M&S. They’re addictive.
- Christmas Dinner. Nuff said. Although I did have to rush my one on the big day as W was being ill (nesecitating a trip to A&E, 2 litres of fluid on a drip and an awful lot of worry). Then my second Christmas Dinner on Boxing Day was understandably subdued. Both delicious though!
- Being able to say – “We’re getting married THIS YEAR!!”
Hope you had a good Christmas – and that your New Year has gotten off to a good start! What’s made your festive period so special?