I’m back! It’s been a while since I sat down and wrote a blog post, with my Thursday recipes being scheduled in advance a while back. And I’ve missed it. Oh boy, have I missed blogging! But life got crazy, everything got in the way and it’s just not happened.
So where have I been? First up I managed to get some kind of stomach illness, and ended up in hospital with suspected (although fortunately not!) appendicitis. Then W got majorly ill along with hundreds of others at his graduation ceremony, which meant yet another hospital trip (this time in an ambulance – which I was secretly quite excited about underneath my worry). Then there’s been wedding bits and pieces, busy-ness at work and the fact that my appetite and love of food simply hasn’t come back yet – not great for a food blogger! But I’m back, I’m here, and I’m hopefully here to stay.
One thing I will say is that I’ve been having major technical issues over here recently. My server company is threatening to shut down the site, I’ve got no photos showing up and it’s all a bit of a nightmare. Just stay with me and we’ll hopefully figure it out! Oh, and Bloglovin decided to disconnect, then loose all of my previous posts. Doh!
And now onto what’s made me happy lately…
- I passed my exams! Yep, I’ve recently got the results of the exams I took back in April and I passed them both. I’m now only two exams away from qualifying which feels pretty damn good!
- Lunch at Padella. We finally bit the bullet and queued when I had a random Monday off. We got there before it opened, queued for just under an hour and then enjoyed some of the best pasta I’ve ever had. Including in Italy. Only beaten by one restaurant in Venice, my dish of thin, delicate strands of pasta with teeny sweet mussels was divine. I also tried Burrata for the first time, which is a ‘happy thing’ all of it’s own…
- Watching W graduate from his Masters. I was and am so unbelievably proud!
- Trying out rather enjoyable alcohol-free white wine. Botonique* is billed as the ‘soft drink for wine lovers’ and, whilst it divided opinions between my friends, I really enjoyed it (they weren’t keen at all!). The smell is a bit off-putting (aka don’t breathe it in) but once I got used to the fragrant flavour I found it the perfect thirst-quenching treat for a hot picnic. Definitely one to try if you’re cutting down on alcohol!
- Picking up my new favourite dress. It fits well, is beautifully made with gorgeously soft materials. And it has bees on it.
- Opening my first Degustabox* – a monthly hamper filled with new, innovative or exciting foodie treats. I’ll be reviewing this month’s on my Instagram stories so stay tuned on here to find out more, but so far the Rhubarb Cider has been a real highlight…
- Managing to replicate my go-to order at Bella Italia. It’s a courgette and pasta dish in a light lemon and tarragon sauce, and now I can make it all the time.
- A rather successful planning meeting at our wedding venue. We remembered exactly why we booked it as the staff are so helpful and organised. We’re virtually all set for the day now – I’ve sorted the bridesmaid gifts, RSVPs are rolling in daily and I’ve got my first dress fitting next week!
- A meal at Trishna. Fancy Indian food, it was all absolutely delicious, and I’m still dreaming about the Crab Curry.
- An afternoon learning all about sourdough. We were booked onto Bread Ahead’s Introduction to Sourdough* which was an amazing class. We’d previously done the Doughnut Workshop (see my post here) which was super-fun, but this one was a lot more technical. We came away with a couple of loaves each as well as a wild yeast culture to feed and start our own sourdough journey at home. I highly recommend if you want to further your bread making knowledge – full post will be up soon!
*Items marked were gifted in exchange for an honest review, with no money exchanging hands. All opinions my own as always!
What’s made you smile recently?