Happy Monday! Again, this fortnight’s been quite a quiet one – exams are just around the corner so evenings out and weekend plans have been at a minimum. That said there’s still been a lot of good food. My sense of taste came fully back after my illness (can’t believe that struck four weeks ago – time has flown by!) so I’ve been making up for the bland meals with lots of yummy eats!
- Feeling better again. I can’t quite believe how ill I felt – being unable to walk properly from bed to kettle was a low point to say the least.
- Homemade sausage rolls. We switched out the traditional pork for lamb mince, and spiked them with harissa. So good, though I’d be tempted to add a bit of finely chopped apricot for some sweetness next time.
- A date night out in Putney. We had cocktails at Home SW15 (my review is coming soon, promise!) including a bizarre but tasty combination of rhubarb, tequila and caper. We then ventured to Yum Saa, a newly opened Thai place. It wasn’t quite as good, yummy food but a rather cramped table, uncomfortable seats and a pricey bill left us feeling a bit deflated.
- A very, very yummy Vietnamese Duck & Blood Orange Salad. W just needs to taste fresh chillies before adding them as we both struggled with the heat of this one!
- Lunch at Borough Market. I tried something new and got a Spinach Bourek with Humus from Balkan Bites – and it was the best lunch I’ve eaten at Borough Market. Light yet filling, super tasty and indulgent, and the humus was just delicious. I’ll be eating more of them for sure!
- Wandering around Hever Castle with one of my besties. We snapped loads of photos, patted loads of puppies (I saw FIVE, including the most adorable baby huskies!). I have some photos I’m really proud of, so keep an eye out on my Instagram!
- A Doughnut Making Workshop at Bread Ahead. Not only was Justin Gelattly himself running it (fan girl moment), it was genuinely one of the best cookery classes I’ve done. We came home with 13 doughnuts, plus one eaten fresh from the fryer in class, and dough for another 12. And four big bags of honeycomb. I think I did well with W’s birthday present this year!
- Ordering a deep fat fryer. Mainly to make the rest of the doughnuts, but I’m also thinking proper fried chicken, onion bharjis and scotch eggs…
- Making a big batch of my favourite soup. It’s a simple combination of bacon, chopped carrots, celery and onion, garlic, cumin, chicken stock, red lentils and lemon juice – and it’s delicious.
- Picking up a dress I’ve *loved* in Oasis for months, at 70% off. Winning!
What’s making you happy right now?